The Health Ministry has warned the public about the increase in Acute Watery Diarrhea cases in the country.
It says all health divisions have been notified of the surge and are reminded to be vigilant, especially with children under the age of 5-years.
The Health Ministry says public health teams in the respective divisions are on the increased alert to intensify awareness and response at all levels.
Some measures people can follow to prevent them from getting diarrhoea is taking necessary precautions during this period and seeking medical attention early, ensuring that unsafe drinking water is boiled before drinking and washing of hands thoroughly with soap and water before food preparation, before meals and after visiting the toilet.
The World Health Organisation reports that diarrheal disease is the second leading cause of death in children under five years old.
It is both preventable and treatable.
Here are a few steps to avoiding diarrhoea
- Drink only bottled water, even for tooth brushing.
- Avoid eating food from street vendors.
- Avoid ice made with tap water.
- Eat only those fruits or vegetables that are cooked or can be peeled.
- Be sure that all foods you eat are thoroughly cooked and served steaming hot.
- Pre-packaged food is usually safe to consume (check expiration date)
- Never eat raw or undercooked meat or seafood.