A study of 2000 happily wedded couples has found the perfect recipe for marriage, including six meaningful conversations, three long walks and two major rows every month.
The study also revealed the top 50 elements that are key to a happy marriage – including pursuing your hobbies and interests, allowing your other half to see you at your worst, and being silly with each other. Couples also place importance on listening to each other grumble about work, showing the other how proud you are of them, and being respectful in front of others.
Although the results showed that having two major rows a month can be a healthy thing it’s very important that you don’t go to sleep on the argument.
More than seven in ten agree that spending time away together without any distractions can add excitement to any relationship – and remind them why they love each other so much.
However, over a third (36 per cent) are also content with the smaller acts of kindness, such as dinner out every now and then.
Top 10 key components of a happy marriage:
- Spending quality time together
- Looking after them when they’re sick
- Feeling you can be completely yourself
- Letting them pursue their own hobbies and interests
- Seeing each other at your worst and best
- Having regular cuddles
- Being respectful to them in front of others
- Making regular plans together
- Being proud of their achievements
- Being silly with each other
[Source: More FM]