Love Island UK contestant Maura Higgins has opened up about her terrifying health scare after leaving a tampon in for three months.

Higgins said she forgot to take out her tampon after it stuck to her cervix.

The situation became so dire that the social media star visited the emergency room after becoming increasingly sick.

When the doctor found it, it was stuck to my cervix. I was so ill. I did not know what was going on

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is a rare, life-threatening complication of certain types of bacterial infections.

It’s common for women to forget to remove their tampons; however, they might not often disclose it as there’s still a stigma around discussing menstruation

Out of all the things to forget , a tampon? REALLYYY?!!